This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
starting a buyer position

The hospital pharmacy I work for is starting up a buyer position. Due to some major staffing changes that includes a new director, I think that they are going to have me wing setting up this position. So do any of you have any ideas/suggestions for me? Any where i could get some formal training?
thanks so much

Re: starting a buyer position

Take it from someone who knows, MOST of us had to 'wing it' in the beginning! The important thing is that you realize that although the buyer is usually a solitary position, you are definitely not alone. A lot of situations are facility-specific, but there are many issues we share.

So first, establish with your new director that things will be different - different from the faciity he/she came from and different from the way it was done before at your facility, so this new position is going to be a work in progress - for at least six months.

Second, expect abuse - from your new director who'll want you to watch the bottom line and your co-workers who will expect your to not only be able to read their minds, but also anticipate their needs. They're not buyers and they don't know any better.

Third, and most important, mark your territory. Establish your set of Ground Rules from Day One. Let them know that things must be written down, that drugs must be requested when the stock is low, not completely out, and that shortages are as inevitable as pizza lunches during Pharmacy Week. They'll grumble and complain, but they'll have the drugs they need when the need them. And (shameless plug) check out the web site from time to time. There are many references and articles that can give you some insight and maybe a different perspective.

And by all means, use all the resources you can get. Set up your borrowing/lending network with other area buyers. If there is an experienced buyer in your area, become his/her best friend. Have sales reps bring you more than pizza and new product sales pitches. They have their ear to the outside world and can tell you stuff that's going on in the purchasing world.

Hopefully you'll attend the Conference this year, where you'll get to meet buyers from all over the country and find out that you're not in as unique a situation as you may have originally thought.

Good Luck in your new position and I hope that it works out in your favor.

City, State: www.pharmacypurchasing.com

Re: starting a buyer position

I know how you are feeling. We had a management company come in in September. I am the new purchaser for the hospital pharmacy. I feel your pain. I am still trying to learn the ropes. If you have any questions or suggestions you can email me and maybe we can learn together

Re: Re: starting a buyer position

thanks Nancy I will take you up on that offer.

Re: Re: Re: starting a buyer position

Hello, I know how you are feeling I was kind of put in the same position, and I had to wing it myself, now 3 years later here I am. So good luck to you and I know you can do it. If I can help e mail me.