Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Buddy Rich Big Band at the Apollo 1959

WHY?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Buddy Rich fans,

Around the spring of 1959, Buddy Rich led a big band for a week at the legendary Apollo Theater in Harlem. This was a "drum week" with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers on the same bill. Buddy Rich big band had Phil Woods, Earl Warren on alto sax, Allen Eager, Charlie Rouse on tenor sax, Lamar Wright, Dan Terry and Dick Vance on trumpet, Eddie Bert on trombone, Sam Herman on guiter, and special guest Philly Joe Jones on drums, among others.

I was wondering if anyone could help me to find out which week of the year 1959 that band actually played at the Apollo.

Thanks.

Re: Re: Buddy Rich Big Band at the Apollo 1959

Because we are trying to clear that date in Art Blakey's Chronology established by jazz-researcher and writer Michael Fitzgerald, and I thought you could help on that particular point.

http://www16.brinkster.com/fitzgera/blakey/chron.htm

Replying to:

WHY?

Replying to:

Hi Buddy Rich fans,

Around the spring of 1959, Buddy Rich led a big band for a week at the legendary Apollo Theater in Harlem. This was a "drum week" with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers on the same bill. Buddy Rich big band had Phil Woods, Earl Warren on alto sax, Allen Eager, Charlie Rouse on tenor sax, Lamar Wright, Dan Terry and Dick Vance on trumpet, Eddie Bert on trombone, Sam Herman on guiter, and special guest Philly Joe Jones on drums, among others.

I was wondering if anyone could help me to find out which week of the year 1959 that band actually played at the Apollo.

Thanks.