Buddy Rich Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: our Manne,Shelly

Hi Lawrence...!

There is a great story in the Traps book on how Shelly and his band were performing at a club one night and Buddy stopped by and caught a set. The band was "on" and Shelly came off the bandstand pretty pleased... Buddy was asked if he wanted to sit in and he accepted. Buddy preceded to smoke it up... and then came his solo. Buddy turned in yet another masterful, untouchable, work of art, and when he was finished, handed the sticks back to Shelly... now this is my favorite part... all Shelly could do was look Buddy right in the eye and say... "Buddy, you prick"! Now understand, the comment was not meant to berate Buddy, it was more of a "how am I supposed to follow that"! Is true... Shelly was always in awe of Buddy, and they were good friends!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Fellow B.R.fans! Isn't it great that other heroes from the past,such as Shelly Manne,a great drummer in his own right,would also worship Buddy Rich as we do?Many other drummers liked and respected B.R.,BUT Shelly thought that Buddy Rich was the closest thing to perfection on the drums as anyone could hope to get!Shelly could get very emotional just talking about it!

Re: Re: our Manne,Shelly

Tommy! Shelly must have had a sense of humor too! I remember on the cover of one of his albums featured a picture of Shelly's "Manne Hole",and on the wall behind him was a large photo of Lawrence Welk,the ultimate SQUARE!

Replying to:

Hi Lawrence...!

There is a great story in the Traps book on how Shelly and his band were performing at a club one night and Buddy stopped by and caught a set. The band was "on" and Shelly came off the bandstand pretty pleased... Buddy was asked if he wanted to sit in and he accepted. Buddy preceded to smoke it up... and then came his solo. Buddy turned in yet another masterful, untouchable, work of art, and when he was finished, handed the sticks back to Shelly... now this is my favorite part... all Shelly could do was look Buddy right in the eye and say... "Buddy, you prick"! Now understand, the comment was not meant to berate Buddy, it was more of a "how am I supposed to follow that"! Is true... Shelly was always in awe of Buddy, and they were good friends!

Replying to:

Fellow B.R.fans! Isn't it great that other heroes from the past,such as Shelly Manne,a great drummer in his own right,would also worship Buddy Rich as we do?Many other drummers liked and respected B.R.,BUT Shelly thought that Buddy Rich was the closest thing to perfection on the drums as anyone could hope to get!Shelly could get very emotional just talking about it!