Buddy Rich Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Channel One DVD... Beware!!

Hi Dale...

Yes, that is exactly what it is... I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.com and it just shipped out, HOWEVER!, buyer beware...

It turns out that Cathy Rich is going to release a DIFFERENT version of this video shortly with ADDITIONAL segments especially for the drum market... Hmmmmm, sounds a little tricky to me. Sounds like trying to make money twice on the same item. ALL the drummers (us!) would want the extended features version, right? I know I would... yet NO MENTION was made of this second version publicly or by Cathy. I have been talking with some other guy's that got the inside track on this development. CR immediately went a bit on the defensive... So,

Should you wait to order the EXTENDED SEGMENT version? I think you should!!! Just my opinion!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The date period and song selections kind of indicate to me this is the long awaited video version of the "Channel One Set" from the audio CD "MR. DRUMS BUDDY RICH LIVE ON KING STREET". Although not the best version of Channel One, this was an interesting version with Steve Marcus playing a surprise very slow blues solo near the end of the piece. Can't wait to get my copy.

Dale

Replying to:

There is a new Buddy Rich DVD called "The Channel One Suite"

It is an incredible document of his final studio performance

Learn more at: http://www.lightyear.com/movies/Buddy%20Rich.htm

Re: Re: Channel One DVD... Beware!!

Too late, I already orderd. I wondered why it wasn't for sale on the "OFFICIAL BUDDY RICH SITE". I guess that site isn't as friendly as this one.

Thanks anyway

Dale

Replying to:

Hi Dale...

Yes, that is exactly what it is... I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.com and it just shipped out, HOWEVER!, buyer beware...

It turns out that Cathy Rich is going to release a DIFFERENT version of this video shortly with ADDITIONAL segments especially for the drum market... Hmmmmm, sounds a little tricky to me. Sounds like trying to make money twice on the same item. ALL the drummers (us!) would want the extended features version, right? I know I would... yet NO MENTION was made of this second version publicly or by Cathy. I have been talking with some other guy's that got the inside track on this development. CR immediately went a bit on the defensive... So,

Should you wait to order the EXTENDED SEGMENT version? I think you should!!! Just my opinion!!

Replying to:

The date period and song selections kind of indicate to me this is the long awaited video version of the "Channel One Set" from the audio CD "MR. DRUMS BUDDY RICH LIVE ON KING STREET". Although not the best version of Channel One, this was an interesting version with Steve Marcus playing a surprise very slow blues solo near the end of the piece. Can't wait to get my copy.

Dale

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Channel One DVD... Beware!!

So, the new DVD is just the second part of the Live at King St, the Channel One set. Does anyone agree with me that this performance including West Side story isnt Buddy or the bands best performance? I know we have heard stories about how Buddy thinks the special they filmed had problems and they had to keep starting and stopping the tape and lost alot of the excitement. Anyone agree?

Replying to:

Too late, I already orderd. I wondered why it wasn't for sale on the "OFFICIAL BUDDY RICH SITE". I guess that site isn't as friendly as this one.

Thanks anyway

Dale

Replying to:

Hi Dale...

Replying to:

Dale

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Channel One DVD... Beware!!

Hi Jack...

Yes... I do agree! I own BOTH the Live at King Street videos (and now DVD's) and where as I do enjoy watching Buddy and the band, these are not one of their best performances... That doesn't mean it isn't entertaining though... it is one of that LAST performances that Buddy did on tape. The actual FINAL performance by Buddy (just prior to his passing) was a special tribute to Tommy Dorsey, hosted by Mwl Torme'. I have a copy of that on DVD... it's actually very good! Buddy was in a great mood and he kicked the TD band hard! Interesting is the fact that the drummer for the TD band plays a Slingerland Buddy Rich kit. Buddy had to feel right at home on those drums! Who would know that very shortly after he would leave us. I still miss him!

Replying to:

So, the new DVD is just the second part of the Live at King St, the Channel One set. Does anyone agree with me that this performance including West Side story isnt Buddy or the bands best performance? I know we have heard stories about how Buddy thinks the special they filmed had problems and they had to keep starting and stopping the tape and lost alot of the excitement. Anyone agree?

Replying to:

Thanks anyway

Dale

Replying to:

Hi Dale...

Replying to:

Dale

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Channel One DVD... Beware!!

I agree that neither Live on King Street videos are among the band's or BR's best work. The trumpet soloist is splitting notes, no trombone soloist worth anything either.

Only Marcus and the rhythm section solo well. Buddy seems less than enthused and he certainly was aware that the guys didn't sound at their best.

The drum set you mention on the Tommy Dorsey PBS Tribute didn't belong to the Dorsey drummer. The show was done in LA and Stan Yeager at the Pro Drum Shop assembled that set for Buddy from things they had in the shop. The set is on display in the Professional Drum Shop as can be seen on their website too. The tom tom mount is a Ludwig, the splash cymbal is on a rim mounted cymbal stand...a number of things that Stan had to do to make the set work.

This is another instance where Buddy sounds great but the Dorsey band is very tired and doesn't have one decent soloist. AFter the trumpet solo on "Hawaiian War Chant" the trumpet played looks at his horn as if to scold it...

Buddy plays wonderfully and it's hard to believe that within a very short time, he would never play again.

Replying to:

Hi Jack...

Yes... I do agree! I own BOTH the Live at King Street videos (and now DVD's) and where as I do enjoy watching Buddy and the band, these are not one of their best performances... That doesn't mean it isn't entertaining though... it is one of that LAST performances that Buddy did on tape. The actual FINAL performance by Buddy (just prior to his passing) was a special tribute to Tommy Dorsey, hosted by Mwl Torme'. I have a copy of that on DVD... it's actually very good! Buddy was in a great mood and he kicked the TD band hard! Interesting is the fact that the drummer for the TD band plays a Slingerland Buddy Rich kit. Buddy had to feel right at home on those drums! Who would know that very shortly after he would leave us. I still miss him!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Thanks anyway

Dale

Replying to:

Hi Dale...

Replying to:

Dale

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Channel One DVD... Beware!!

Interesting stuff!

I noticed the Ludwig mount, splash cymbal mount, etc... that's WHY I thought it was the TD band's drummer's kit. Thanks for the inside information...!

Agreed on the review of the Dorsey band... nowhere near anything as burnin' as any of Buddy's bands, but as we both mentioned, Buddy sounds GREAT! He just tore it up...

Replying to:

I agree that neither Live on King Street videos are among the band's or BR's best work. The trumpet soloist is splitting notes, no trombone soloist worth anything either.

Only Marcus and the rhythm section solo well. Buddy seems less than enthused and he certainly was aware that the guys didn't sound at their best.

The drum set you mention on the Tommy Dorsey PBS Tribute didn't belong to the Dorsey drummer. The show was done in LA and Stan Yeager at the Pro Drum Shop assembled that set for Buddy from things they had in the shop. The set is on display in the Professional Drum Shop as can be seen on their website too. The tom tom mount is a Ludwig, the splash cymbal is on a rim mounted cymbal stand...a number of things that Stan had to do to make the set work.

This is another instance where Buddy sounds great but the Dorsey band is very tired and doesn't have one decent soloist. AFter the trumpet solo on "Hawaiian War Chant" the trumpet played looks at his horn as if to scold it...

Buddy plays wonderfully and it's hard to believe that within a very short time, he would never play again.

Replying to:

Hi Jack...

Replying to:

Replying to:

Thanks anyway

Dale

Replying to:

Hi Dale...

Replying to:

Dale

Replying to: