Buddy Rich Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The reason for calling them B&B lugs...!

Okay!

For those interested, I chatted with one of THE noted Rogers authority's on the east coast and asked him WHY the Bread & Butter lugs were called Bread & Butter lugs... here is the actual reason, and Sammy, you weren't too far off! Ahem...

They were called Bread & Butter lugs because the lugs resembled little loaves of bread... that's it! Simple! Not to mention, B&B was a lot cooler than saying the "Drawn Brass Lug"... and the coolest of course, would be the Beavertail. A sturdy little lug that is... and pretty!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sammy!

Your thoughts on the origin of the B&B name seem pretty logical, even under the effects of thorazine! I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find... "Late breaking"! Film at eleven!

Replying to:

hi, guys.

i always figured it was because they were shaped like the old chrome bread boxes that were pretty common in the kitchen at the time. just a guess, though. who knows what i'll come up with once the thorazine wears off.

Replying to:

Hi Lawrence!

Rogers guy that I am... and admit it freely!, here is what I know of the Bread & Butter lugs...

Rogers wasn't the only company calling these lugs Bread & Butter... Slingerland for instance, had a B&B type lug that was referred to by the same name. As to WHY they were called B&B lugs, I'm not sure... but this I do know:

Rogers manufactured these lugs from '59 to '64... they were made from drawn brass, thus they were a tad fragile and malleable. Because they were so "soft", they were prone to tension and vibration failure, which is kind of funny because tension and vibration happen constantly on any drum! They were also called "tab lugs" as well... referring to the two mounting tabs that secured the lug to the drum shell... another source of constant failure! Whew...

Rogers got a clue pretty quickly as the lug design was replaced in '64 with the beloved CAST Beavertail we know and love today... truly a beauty. And once again, Rogers wasn't the only company to make a Beavertail... many other drum companies had them as well. As a final comment I have to add that I think the Rogers Co. was very shrewd as the NEW Beavertail DID NOT FIT any of the older B&B lugged drums! You couldn't upgrade your B&B drums with the new Beavertail without drilling holes! You had to buy NEW DRUMS or keep replacing B&B lugs when your original ones cracked... and they did crack... eventually!!

Replying to:

Why are they called that,and why was Rogers Drum Co.stupid enough to use crack prone lugs in the fist place?

Re: Re: The reason for calling them B&B lugs...!

My first drum was a Rogers early 60's Luxor model. I still have the shell (Serial # 1186). And you are all very correct. Those Bread N' Butter lugs were very fragile. All but 2 of the lugs on that drum cracked near the neck. It was still an original Cleveland Rogers.

Dale

Replying to:

Okay!

For those interested, I chatted with one of THE noted Rogers authority's on the east coast and asked him WHY the Bread & Butter lugs were called Bread & Butter lugs... here is the actual reason, and Sammy, you weren't too far off! Ahem...

They were called Bread & Butter lugs because the lugs resembled little loaves of bread... that's it! Simple! Not to mention, B&B was a lot cooler than saying the "Drawn Brass Lug"... and the coolest of course, would be the Beavertail. A sturdy little lug that is... and pretty!

Replying to:

Sammy!

Your thoughts on the origin of the B&B name seem pretty logical, even under the effects of thorazine! I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find... "Late breaking"! Film at eleven!

Replying to:

hi, guys.

i always figured it was because they were shaped like the old chrome bread boxes that were pretty common in the kitchen at the time. just a guess, though. who knows what i'll come up with once the thorazine wears off.

Replying to:

Hi Lawrence!

Rogers guy that I am... and admit it freely!, here is what I know of the Bread & Butter lugs...

Rogers wasn't the only company calling these lugs Bread & Butter... Slingerland for instance, had a B&B type lug that was referred to by the same name. As to WHY they were called B&B lugs, I'm not sure... but this I do know:

Rogers manufactured these lugs from '59 to '64... they were made from drawn brass, thus they were a tad fragile and malleable. Because they were so "soft", they were prone to tension and vibration failure, which is kind of funny because tension and vibration happen constantly on any drum! They were also called "tab lugs" as well... referring to the two mounting tabs that secured the lug to the drum shell... another source of constant failure! Whew...

Rogers got a clue pretty quickly as the lug design was replaced in '64 with the beloved CAST Beavertail we know and love today... truly a beauty. And once again, Rogers wasn't the only company to make a Beavertail... many other drum companies had them as well. As a final comment I have to add that I think the Rogers Co. was very shrewd as the NEW Beavertail DID NOT FIT any of the older B&B lugged drums! You couldn't upgrade your B&B drums with the new Beavertail without drilling holes! You had to buy NEW DRUMS or keep replacing B&B lugs when your original ones cracked... and they did crack... eventually!!

Replying to:

Why are they called that,and why was Rogers Drum Co.stupid enough to use crack prone lugs in the fist place?