This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

There is a way to have several NDC codes in place with the Meditech system. I talked to the gentleman that takes care of our system here and he said that we can have 20 different tablets in the system for the same drug and it would work and we would be able to scan all of them. I had asked him this because sometimes I can't get in the product I normally carry because of a backorder, etc and would be forced to purchase a new NDC code product. Check with the person that programs your system for you and have them check into this. The system does allow for multiple NDCs for each drug.

Years as a Buyer: 16+ tech 33

Re: Re: Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

Just trying to figure out the bar-coding system--but don't you think the medication ID generated by the in-house computer system would work?

Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

Our facility has Meditech Magic as our hospital operating system. We went with Bedside Medication Verification system back in September 2005.
Prior to go-live I had to change my purchasing habits so to speak so that I was purchasing more bar-coded products even though they were a little pricy.
For products that were not available with a bar-code example suppositories and a lot of injections at that time including Zofran injection we purchased a program with MPI (Medical packaging INC.) and bought a Zebra printer which made bar-codes labels.
We also bought a new packager from MPI which packaged bulk into UD with bar-codes.
If for some reason we bought multiple brands for the same item we linked all the brands (different NDCs) to one entry.
Our bedside medication verification is working very well and have averted a lot of errors.

Name of Facility: DELNOR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Years as a Buyer: 4

Re: Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

How do you handle liquids that do not come in unit dose? Do you use a system or pull up into syringes and label?
I have noticed several systems out there--not sure what to consider.

Name of Facility: WILSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

City, State: ACUTE CARE

Years as a Buyer: 20+

Re: Re: Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

We are manually drawing up all of our liquids. These labels are generated through Meditech, have patient names and also have bar-codes.

Name of Facility: DELNOR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Years as a Buyer: 4

Re: Re: Re: Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

We manually draw up into syringes or small bottles and label using a seperate label machine for barcodes. How do you use meditech to generate the barcode label on medication patient labels? Was not aware that you could do this through Meditech except for the IV labels.

Name of Facility: Grandview Medical Center

Years as a Buyer: 2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

Our information systems are working on the patient labels (and IV labels) to have a bar-code when we send up a medication.
I asked her about it and she said that once she has it working she can give you the ins and of it all.

Name of Facility: WILSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

City, State: ACUTE CARE

Years as a Buyer: 20+

Barcoding / Meditech / UD packaging system

Thank You! That would be great. Just let me know when she gets it figured out and I will let my people know how to do it. That would work out so much better to have the barcode on the actual patient label too. Hey, I kinda like this forum thing. LOL

Name of Facility: Grandview Medical Center

Years as a Buyer: 2