This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John and Jane Doe

I really like that idea! I'm usually venting at some point in the "discussion" and tend to be pretty cynical, but I feel safe in doing it in the confines of this forum, not necessarily in a national publication!!!H6
And I'm thinking partiularly of the posts about Amerisource vs. Cardinal. As you said, Mike, it was a great discussion that wouldn't be published! Just no one wants to offend readers who aren't buyers - and I know they are out there. I've had reps tell me that they had read a posting from me in the latest issue of PPO!

Name of Facility: PORTER

Years as a Buyer: 9+

Re: Re: John and Jane Doe

I would agree with what you advocating. In addition to that, anyone if they so choose, can read this board. So I believe many of us really watch how we phrase and discuss things here as well.

Name of Facility: St. Francis health Center

City, State: Acute

Years as a Buyer: 4+ in Pharmacy 25 in retail hard goods

It was brought to my attention that the original post on this thread suggested that from now on we should use pseudonyms instead of our real names.

For the sake of keeping the network together, the suggestion to use pseudonyms was when sensitive issues were being discussed and you didn't want to be identified. If we're discussing something benign, like asking info on availabilty of a drug, it would behoove everyone to know who they're talking to.

If at all possible, we'd still like to know who we're talking to, just to strengthen our "Circle of Trust" (Yeah, I saw "Meet the Parents"). The pseudonym option should be used only when your remarks might cause you repercussions, something I personally would not want to happen to anyone. But, if we all end up using pseudonyms, we'll have no idea who is talking to whom, which will do more damage than good. And as always, if the remarks are inappropriate, real name or pseudonym, they will be removed immediately.

As I've said countless times before, the Forum is a safe place for you to express your ideas, feelings and frustrations, and it will remain so as long as my name is on top of this Forum. Let us know who you are as much as you can, but if expressing yourself may result in something negative happening to you, then you have the other option.

SAFE POSTING!

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

City, State: Publishing

Years as a Buyer: 30+

That'd be great (for everything...)

I've actually gotten in trouble for posting a few times here because even though vendors aren't supposed to be looking on here, they do and then they get upset at the honest conversation here between buyers about the positive and negatives of companies. Sometimes they're not on here but they read it in the newsletter that they get....

City, State: Teaching hospital

Years as a Buyer: 2

Re: Re: John and Jane Doe

I am with Colleen. I have gotten in trouble too with the reps and vendors looking at the post.

I like Mike's idea!

However it is quite frustrating not to speak out honestly without being scared.

Name of Facility: Kern Medical Center--222 beds

City, State: Teaching Acute care Trauma II

Years as a Buyer: 5

Re: Re: Re: John and Jane Doe

Are Pharmacy Buyers required to please all the vendor reps that call on them? If you have this mind set, you are likely not doing as effective of a job as you should be doing as a purchasing agent. I myself have struggled with this and realize that sometimes you need to stand up and tell it like it is. We cannot please everyone, and if we try to, we are not doing our jobs as diligently as we could. Every buyer has an opinion and is able to state it here. If you want to be anonymous, you can be, but if a vendor criticizes you for having an opinion, and you are afraid to state it, you might seek a job in public relations where you try to please all people you deal with. Even then, no matter how careful you are, you will still upset some people.

Sure you can be politically sensitive and still state your case and be proud that you have contributed your opinions about the subject being discussed. And if somebody doesn't like it, that's their issue to deal with, not yours.

Name of Facility: Editor-In-Chief, Pharmacy Purchasing Outlook

City, State: Newsletter

Re: Re: Re: Re: John and Jane Doe

I kind of have to agree with Dale (and not because I work for him....)

In a service-oriented country, it is the Pharmacy Buyer who is the customer of the Pharmaceutical Sales Rep, not the opposite. Number 7 of the article "How to Lose a Customer in Ten Ways" states that "Telling the Buyer What to Do" is a sure-fire image-killer. Sometimes reps forget that they need us, and instead of retaliating against negative posts made by Buyers, they should look on these as subtle hints, areas to improve their Sales Etiquette. A Buyer could just as easily make up excuses not to see a rep, or switch products; with very few exceptions, most generics have multiple contract awards.

Short of spewing obcenities and citing a sales rep by name, any Buyer should have the right to voice an opinion on this Forum without fear of reprisal.

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

City, State: Publishing

Years as a Buyer: 30+