This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Happy Pharmacy Buyer Day!

Sorry it took me so long to reply... I was on the floor laughing for quite a bit.

I got a lecture about how the techinicians don't think I'm doing my job... not exactly the thanks and celebration warranted.

Years as a Buyer: 1+

Re: Re: Happy Pharmacy Buyer Day!

I feel your pain!!
In the past, I have taken it upon myself in September to contact drug reps to schedule lunches each day of Pharmacy Week, but last year so many people complained about what was brought in or that they couldn't any work done, that I just chucked the whole plan this year. So, basically nobody did anything last week.
However, on Friday, one tech and our billing secretary each bought a little gift for me, which was totally unexpected--and that made it all the nicer!
Special note to Colleen--go on vacation for 2 weeks like I did this month. Maybe those complaining techs will get a new appreciation for all you do!!

I had lunch brought in everyday last week and breakfast 3 days, plus gift bags for everyone.

One pharmacist complained about the "parade" of drug reps so I told her if she was so opposed, then don't eat the food. That didn't happen, she ate every meal all week.....

I have 3 conferences each summer and am gone for 1 week at a time each time (plus any vacation I take), and you'd think a bomb went off in here everytime I get back... yet they're still convinced they can do it better. I just don't get it...

With my new schedule b/c of nursing school, they're about to get more of the responsibility placed on them (per THEIR REQUEST) and I just can't wait to see how long it is until I get told I need to start doing it again. We're a 340B hospital and that alone is a job in itself...

Years as a Buyer: 1+

We had food every day last week to celebrate Pharmacy Week but nothing was said about recognizing the buyers other than one lone pharmacist that did wish me a good day.

Name of Facility: Aspirus Wausau Hospital

City, State: comm. hospital

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Re: Re: Re: Happy Pharmacy Buyer Day!

We had lunch twice last week and we sprang for a laptop bag or lunch cooler thinggie with out logo on it for each member of the staff.

All I heard was, "this is it? where are all the pens?"

I didn't expect anything for buyers day, as I am also the technicians boss and they never do anything for bosses day either.

Name of Facility: Emanuel Medical Center

City, State: Acute Care

Years as a Buyer: 3

The response most of you got was typical. This is the first time we as buyers made a big deal over having some recognition, so it probably came as a surprise to most of your staff.

Remember when Pharmacy Technician Day was established. It was met with equal apathy. Now, an astounding 10(?) years later - it's pretty much the same. Those who will celebrate Pharmacy Buyer Day are the Pharmacies that have the all-around highest morale. It's going to take time and some attitude adjustment.

This is another example of change that will come by evolution, not revolution. We've gotten their attention. We can only go up from here. I'm an avid student of history, although I didn't have much time for it when I was in school; but it teaches some very valuable lessions. Just a scant sixty years ago, the APhA was denouncing those upstart hospital pharmacists for breaking away from the Mother Organization. Today, ASHP is the leading voice in Pharmacy Practice.

So you got kicked in the face this year. Times change. People move on. And what was ignored today, who knows? We may have the Annual Pharmacy Buyer Day Parade one day!

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

City, State: Publishing

Years as a Buyer: 30+

Isn't it funny that we can't get recognized for the job we do, but we can be told things like, "you're not allowed to go on any more vacation days because things fall apart when you're not here." Or "boy are we glad you're back, it was horrible while you were gone." I always have to laugh because I feel very unappectiated when I am at work and it's only when I'm not here that it flops around. Well, at least I find comfort in knowing that I'm pretty good at what I'm doing and I will always give 100% whether or not I am recognized.

Years as a Buyer: 16 (33+ as a Tech)

Re: Re: Re: Happy Pharmacy Buyer Day!

Right my fellow Pharmacy Buyers,

For the past five years, I have coordinated with my reps to give us both breakfast and lunches. I even spoke to the CFO of the hospital four years ago and make them give us a breakfast for all components of the pharmacy. After all they do it for the nurses, the Dept of Pharmacy is a lot smaller compared to the Nursing dept.

Pharmacy week is the only time I ask reps to give us lunches and I begin to plan and coordinate with them in the month of January so its a lingering thought in their mind since they too have to worry about budgets.

No one here cared about the Pharmacy Buyer day and I just pulled off the poster from the wall last week.
Oh well I do a good job- I know that regardless of a kind word or a pat on the shoulder-we make our bosses look good, we coordinate with every other person in the hosptial, we pull favours for everyone all for the simple fact that we are ultimately delivering the best care to the patient--Without us there would be no mediations to dispense.

Name of Facility: Kern Medical Center--222 beds

City, State: Teaching Acute care Trauma II

Years as a Buyer: 5

Re: Re: Re: Re: Happy Pharmacy Buyer Day! Please do not print

Here is a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson that might be fitting:
" Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all you might. Put your whole soul into it! Stamp it with your personality! Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your objective."

We need to be enthusiastic, even though some days it is hard, about our job. Our job is important and one of these days it will be recognized for the profession it is. The road is many times rocky traveling to get to the goal and I know this goal is worth the travel. I have been fortunate to have a Director that understands where we want to be as a profession and recognizes the Buyer position as a profession.

I am excited that we are forming a network amoung ourselves that will give additional support to our objective through this organization. The network is getting stronger all the time. It is a long road....keep your eye on the prize.
Have a Happy Day!

Name of Facility: St. Francis health Center

City, State: Acute

Years as a Buyer: 4+ in Pharmacy 25 in retail hard goods