This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who buys when you're gone?

I am very fortunate to have a designated tech to check the order in everday. He is also my back-up when I am gone. He does a great job. Since he checks in the order - he has a pretty good idea of what we are using. I also have a designated tech to place the order on Sundays. I have PAR levels on all shelf labels so there is little if any guessing involved.

Name of Facility: Renown Renown Regional Medical Center

City, State: Teaching/trauma Hospital 500+ beds

Years as a Buyer: 15

I hate taking days off since I know that the other techs are going to take it as a free for all, to load the department with every item that we haven't used in months even years. But of course we need a dozen more then our yearly average on the shelf. LOL> We have tryed to keep all the bins numbered with the amount that should be kept, but that didn't work. I'm taking a vaction in 4 weeks. My first vacation in 3 years. I'm a little worried.

Name of Facility: Jupiter Medical Center

City, State: 150 beds

Years as a Buyer: 3

hahaha Cheryl - I feel your pain!!!

I'm leaving Sunday for a conference and going right to vacation from there so I'll be gone for TWO weeks... I'm already dreading the mess I'll come back to. :(

Name of Facility: CVMC

City, State: Teaching hospital - 270 beds

Years as a Buyer: 1

I got tired of the over ordering and the returns of the items about 10 years ago. I bought a dymo machine that will pring 3/4" labels. I have assigned a par level for each product in my pharmacy with this labeler next to the wholesaler shelf tag re-order number. Every time someone orders when I am not here
they know exactly how many to order. I came up with my par levels by running a average monthly usage report in my wholesaler reporting system. Divide that number by 4 which will give you an average weekly usage. Then I cut that number in half which will give you a 3-4 dayu supply. We receive orders from our wholesaler 6 days a week (Monday-Sat). Then you need to communicate with your staff that orders what the numbers are for next to the product #s.I have selected 4 techs on my staff to do the ordering. This has cut down on this problem immensely.

Name of Facility: Sharon Regional Health System

City, State: Hospital-270 beds

Years as a Buyer: 34

I have two techs that have ability to order, but generally depend on the one. She is good about not over-ordering and since she also refills pyxis, she is more in tune with what is being used. McKesson has asset-management, which will give a reorder point and quantity, so I try and convince who ever is ordering to use it. The Pharmacists only scan items (if we need or not!!!!)

Name of Facility: Fremont Area Medical Center

City, State: hospital

Years as a Buyer: 30+

I've just begun training a tech to be my backup when I'm gone and she's also our Pyxis tech, we had the same thinking as you... that'd she'd be good to know whats moving and whats not.

Name of Facility: Catawba Valley Medical Center

City, State: Teaching

Years as a Buyer: 1