This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Comunication of needs

I was a tech before I was a buyer, but we did not have a buyer before me. It was a mess. we constantly had too much or not enough becuase everyone was ordering what they thought we should have. That does not work well.

I am making things up as I go honestly. I just keep learning from my mistakes and keep trying to improve all of our buying processes.

City, State: community

Years as a Buyer: 2

Re: Comunication of needs

It sounds like we all have the same communication breakdown in the pharmacy. We have several tools we use to try and communicate but there is always some sort of breakdown. I am always telling the staff to "write it down" - don't tell me as I am passing by on my way to a meeting. I am also not afraid to ask the person responsible for entering/ and or filling the order why they didn't write it down for re-order. We remind the staff at morning report the importance of communicating. I am not a mind reader :)

It has improved!

Name of Facility: Renown Renown Regional Medical Center

City, State: Teaching/trauma Hospital 500+ beds

Years as a Buyer: 15

Re: Comunication of needs

My DOP thinks pharmacy communication problems are b/c pharmacy attracts a certain kind of person, usually the absent minded professor type who have trouble remembering to communicate. I guess thats one way to look at it!!

I always tell people that my mind reading class is next semester so to please write it on the want book... its amazing how many people still just tell me in passing. I just returned a borrowed item to a doctors office today from May 16th because everyone assumed that I knew it needed to be done b/c I was in the pharmacy when they borrowed it.

I have the dry erase board, and I just added our monthly budget figures to that. Atleast when they claim ignorance I can point to it and remind them that the information is there, they just have to read it.

Name of Facility: CVMC

City, State: Teaching hospital - 270 beds

Years as a Buyer: 1

Re: Re: Comunication of needs

I'm not so sure about the absent-minded part. Most pharamcists will correct you on the angle of the needle point when you're making IV's - some go into THAT degree of minutia!
I think it's a matter of priorities. As long as the drug is there, it's off their radar. But when there are constant runs, OR more to the point, if it's a drug THEY need (ex.- the Chemo Pharmacist will be making their drugs for the outpatient clinic in the morning), you bet your butt he'll make sure you know about it!
It's just what THEY think is important!

Name of Facility: Summerdale Enterprises, Inc.

City, State: Publishing

Years as a Buyer: 30+