This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: JCAHO

Maybe having pharmacy purchasing "flying under the radar" is a benefit when it comes to such inspections.

Re: Re: JCAHO

You're right, but they make us do this stuff anyway!

Name of Facility: Kennedy Health System / 180

City, State: http://www.pharmacypurchasing.com

Years as a Buyer: >30 but Retired (for now...)

Re: Re: Re: JCAHO

I have no specific duties as a buyer but how about pharmacy being held responsible for medication left about by nursing (not fair) I know thats just how it works but it feels good to get it off my chest.

Name of Facility: Mid Coast Hospital / 60

City, State: Nfp

Years as a Buyer: Four

Re: Re: Re: Re: JCAHO

AND unit dose medications nursing puts in those little cups and leaves in the patient's drawer, AND the discharged patient's meds AND their secret stashes that you weren't able to find!

The best deterrent are the automated systems, where any drugs not accounted for is charged to Nursing!

Re: JCAHO

About 3 years ago, I had to accompany both DHS and JCAHO around the hospital. They broke open 35% of our crash carts which we had to reseal. And just before they came in we had to clean and empty the cupboards under the sinks in the pharmacy.
What about dangerous and inappopriate abbreviations---are they a big thing in your hospital?? (Had to put it in there :()

Name of Facility: 222 bed

City, State: Acute care teaching hospital Trauma II center

Years as a Buyer: 5 years

Re: Re: JCAHO

We're in the middle of a JCAHO inspection right now. But besides that, I have to share this with everybody. I work nights so I didn't hear I it directly, but I was told that the inspection group was "greeted" over the hospital's PA system. In my thirty-plus years in hospital, this was the first time I ever heard of a public warning that JCAHO was in the building! I laughed hysterically when I was told about it!

Getting back to your question, there was an edict last year from ASHP and other pharmacy groups to TOTALLY ELIMINATE ABBREVIATIONS. As it stands now, our hospital is banning certain abbreviations like 'qd' and 'u', leading decimal points and trailing zeroes. They're shooting for 'sq', but I seriously doubt if anyone is going to wriite 'subcutaneously'. Pharmacy has the authority to make the physician re-write the order, not just give a verbal to a nurse or a pharmacist. The Pharmacy reports all offenders to the Medical Executive Board where... something happens . So far we've had some success. 'qd' is now 'daily' and some other concessions were made. No luck so far on 'subcutaneously', I'm afraid. We got some of them to do 'subcut', but that's only a small minority so far.