This is a Buyers-Only Forum. NO VENDORS are permitted to post on this Forum

Forum Archive
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Packaging machines

Coleen:

You can start here: http://rxshowcase.com/unit_dose_packaging_systems.htm.

If gives a rundown of the more popular models out there and a chance to see what they look like. And if you want to do some backup research, try this link: www.pppmag.com/documents/HV_Packers.pd.

These two sources should give you enough material to digest. If anyone has some field experience with this type of machine (our pharmacy had one of those stand-and-feed dinosaurs too), give us a leg up.

Mike

P.S. Dale, guys - I think this reinforces the need for an automation session!

Name of Facility: Kennedy Health System / 180

City, State: Teaching Hospital

Years as a Buyer: >30 (retired - for now...)

Colleen, I don't know who your wholesaler is but Cardinal has new a repacking serivce called Unit Dose Bar Code Solutions. I don't think this will replace your need for a packing machine, but it may reduce the number of products that you need to repack. If you don't use Cardinal there are other companies that do the same type of service. April

Name of Facility: Mid Coast Hospital / 60

City, State: Nfp

Years as a Buyer: Four

Yeah, we currently have a company we use to repackage our products. We have a ship to/bill to account set up, so it gets delivered to them, they package it, and send it to us; but on a good day, the turn around time is 2 days, and if they're backed up (which they have been lately), it can take up to a week. After talking to various technicians, I think they'd prefer to repackage most themselves and use this company for liquids or things we don't need in an immediate turn around.

Name of Facility: ColleenBump

City, State: Teaching - 270 beds

Years as a Buyer: Less than 1!!!

Hello,
We use MILT. It's a windows based software marketed by Medi-Dose. The newer version has
* Barcoding capabilities
* 6 month or one year dating
* It works with Laser or Ink jet printers
* The cups come in Ultraviolet Inhibitant or non UVI medi cup and come in 3 different sizes.
* The labels come in 12 colors
* Has Complete log reporting and backup tools too.
* Can process labels for Liquid doses too.
The best part is that I can install the software on any computer.

I purchase the supplies from Williams Medical and get it at the same price as I would from the supplier.

I purchase the blister packs and labels for this for

Name of Facility: 222 bed

City, State: Acute care teaching hospital Trauma II center

Years as a Buyer: 5 years