Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mamo Qilo to Advise CUD - Part I

I have maintained that Engineer Hailu did Ok, but could have done much better if he had the right handler. A shrewd political handler, the equivalent of Karl Rove or Mamo Qilo would have anticipated the questions and prepared his candidate much better.

This is how Engineer Hailu would have responded if I were his handler.

Introduction by BBC’s Stephen Sacker

“Ethiopia’s Parliamentary elections were held in May, but we still don’t know who won! The opposition here (in Ethiopia) says that the government is to rob them of their stunning victory. There has been street clashes and serious bloodshed. But what would be the opposition’s next move?

“Well, my guest here is the leader of Ethiopia’s biggest opposition group, Hailu Shaul. Welcome to “Hard Talk”!

BBC: “Mr. Shaul, would you accept that the Ethiopian election on May 15th was the freest and fairest in Ethiopian history?”

Hailu:- “Well one needs to see this in context. Compared to previous elections, in which the government was the only party to run primarily against itself, this is a water mark. You can call this relatively fair and free, but we should not forget those who were murdered and tortured by the government supporters for supporting the opposition candidates. Most importantly we should not forget what has transpired since the election"

BBC: “Because you had access to the media, you had the opportunity to debate with the ruling party. It was remarkable, wasn’t it?”

Hailu: “Yes indeed we had LIMITED access to the media until the election, but we have been completely shut out from government media since then. Even the private press is threatened not to publish our press releases. International media including VOA and others were kicked out and their local reporters were threatened with arrest if they dared to send any report or news to their headquarters. So again, we need to see the full picture before we declare there is democratic culture in Ethiopia. In actuality it is a different story. We also need to remember this was our right to begin with, a right that was taken by the government for 14 years."

BBC: “Do you think that, in light of what happened since the election, you have lost sight of just any achievement that democratic process was?”

Hailu: “The democratic process was by and large free and fair, barring some pockets of violations of our rights by government supporters. But the democratic process can not be called democratic if the votes of the people are compromised. In light of what has transpired since the election, it appears evident that the PM Meles’s government had no plan or timeline to relinquish power, regardless of the outcome of the election. So it remains to be seen whether this was a genuine effort to introduce democracy or a misguided political ploy that was designed to buy international legitimacy for the ruling party, but went out of control.”

BBC: “Well let’s talk about it in detail. When did you decide that the vote count was rigged?”

Hailu: “It was evident shortly after the election. When local observers were chased out of their posts and when government agents took over some of the voting stations, it was apparent that the process has been aborted before it run its course. This is a miscarriage of justice and a mockery of democracy. The fairness and transparency of the election process has no meaning if the results are sanctioned by extra legal means and enforced by the barrel of gun touting militia forces as it seems to be the case were international observers were not present.”

BBC: “Why did you complain that the vote was rigged in Addis Ababa - at the root - in the capital city?”

Hailu: “We complained because there was a systematic attempt to rig the vote. But as it turned out our margin of victory was so wide that it proved difficult to alter the outcomes of the election. The presence of international observers in Addis also made it difficult to overturn the results of the election in Addis. But this is not to say that there was no foul play or an attempt to foul play in Addis.”

BBC: “But this is puzzling! You are saying the vote was rigged in Addis Ababa.”

Hailu: “As I noted there was an attempt to rig the election, just like in other places. But the outcome was different for two reasons. One is the margin by which we won and the other is the presence of international observers.

BBC: “But you were actually complaining that it has been rigged! As soon as the election ended you complained “this vote in the capital city has been fraudulent.”

Hailu: “I am reiterating the same poit. There was an attempt to rig the election. Any attempt to tamper with the votes of the people makes the government’s effort fraudulent. The fact that they failed to succeed to overturn the results of the election does not mean there was no fraudulent action on the part of the government.

BBC: “Well, let’s talk about the observers. Because the E.U. was here. The Carter Center from America was here. They did confirm some allegations of harassment and intimidation and inaccessibility of the vote count to their monitors. But they stressed there is much to be impressed about with the election process. Where is your claim of systematic, nationwide fraud? Because they do not say that.”

Hailu: “To begin with the reports of the Carter Center and those of the EU differ quite substantially. The EU, which has much more coverage and representation in Ethiopia, has made it clear that there were serious issues after the election. They have officially announced that they have lost confidence in the counting process. They have even gone as far as suggesting that their poll suggests that we have won the election. But this is an argument at the practical level. At a very fundamental level one rigged vote is one too many. There appears to be a tendency to judge things by the so called “African Standard”, we find this condescending and wrong. Democracy is not all about the government of majority. It is just as much about governing by the rule of law. What we are saying is that there are ample reasons to cast doubt about the entire process. We are not talking about isolated cases where one or two ballot boxes disappeared or some of the ballot boxes have been broken. This was a widespread problem than the government and some of their supporters would like to admit. You can look at the number of independent local observers that were chased out of their posts, and some were beaten up when they refused to leave. You may have also heard the people guarding the ballot boxes in some areas at the risk of their lives to protect their votes. If this election cycle is an exceptional and remarkable it speaks more about the people who came out in mass and voted. Some came right out of their hospital bed and stood in line for hours to vote. Others guarded the ballots for two days at the risk of their lives. This was truly remarkable and it is this that the government is trying to subvert.”

BBC: “Do you really accept this process? Many wonder whether you are really acknowledging the right of the National Electoral Board to decide on who won on this national election.

Hailu: “Many people advised us not to participate in the election. We were told that it would be naiveté to expect to win peacefully. We chose to take part in the process knowing fully well that the government would try all its power to avoid relinquishing its power. It is with the same attitude that we are going forward in the appeal process. We are pursuing a peaceful struggle. If the Election Board’s decision is unfair and against the wishes of the people we will continue our struggle. We have seen that the people are behind us and they have spoken loud and clear that they need a new government. We will fight for that within the bounds of the constitution. And given the violent tendency of the government as seen just recently, we are cognizant that our peaceful struggle will be responded with state sponsored violence. But we are prepared to pay the price nd believe the people will be behind us in our peaceful march.”

BBC: “Let’s cut the…the political nuance! Let’s be absolutely honest. Are you saying that this process is pointless, given that the Election board is assigned by the Ruling Party?”

Hailu: “No, I didn’t say pointless! There is a legitimate point in what we are pursuing. The Election Board has a historical burden to enforce the wishes of the people. It is under the watchful eyes of the Ethiopian people. It is not only the government, but it is also the election board that is under scrutiny. Would it maintain its independence or succumb to the pressure from the government? That remains to be seen. It is in our best interest to allow the process to run its course. We will comment on it after the Board’s decision is announced. As I noted above, we are pursuing peaceful struggle. We will take all the options available even when the chances for a fair and a transparent process seem to be slim.”

BBC: “On May the 21st you said that you would boycott the parliament unless justice was been done. It sounds to me like there will be a boycott from your party?”

Hailu: “Without any question. To do otherwise is to betray the very people who voted for us and counted on us to represent their interest. The people did not vote for us to compromise their voices and settle for whatever the government is willing to dole out. To accept a result that is not just, as your question seems to suggest, is to go against the wishes of the people. As I am sure you know there were people who were murdered for supporting the opposition. There were people who died when voting for the opposition. Accepting anything less than what was dictated by the wishes of the people would be tantamount to betraying the people.”

BBC: “What kind of democratic values do you uphold then? Millions of people vote for you. The Electoral Board, which, there upon, according to the Constitution, will decide that actually you did well but you didn’t win. And then, you turn down all the people who voted for you and so you say “We are not going to represent you at the Parliament; we’re going to boycott”.

Hailu: “ Mr. Sacker, allow me to repeat my self. If the Electoral Board’s decision is fair and transparent, we will accept it and fully abide by it. If it is not, then it would be within our constitutional rights to reject its decisions. What we are saying is that we will not accept anything less than what the mandate the people of Ethiopia have given us. We are confident that the people would be behind us. To do otherwise is to let the people down.”

BBC: “Prime Minster Meles told this program that he has great sympathy for the idea of having a new election. What do you think?

Hailu: One thing must be clear. Democracy is a process that allows losing parties to regroup and run for election again. As a matter of principle we do not agree with the suggestion that we should have another election. This would be tantamount to rewarding criminal behavior. I can understand why the Prime Minister would be keen for another chance. No one who had lost would reject a second chance. Having said that if there are legitimate reasons to have a re run we would be very happy and expect victory with an even higher margin. But this assumes that all institutional safeguards are in place to avoid a repeat of May 2005. But I think it is premature to discuss about re runs before the current process has run its course.

BBC: “Let me read you a statement that was issued on the 31st of May and I am quoting. It was a call for numerous and successive protest demonstra- tions: ‘…stopping of school, transport, a nationwide general strike. The decision” it said “of whether or not we want to continue the part of the illegal government rests in our hand!’ Do you know who wrote that?”

Hailu: “I do not know who wrote it. The decision and indeed the official position of the leadership of CUD as have been announced officially is that the people should wait with patience and refrain from engaging in any demonstration or strike.”

BBC: “That was your own party - the C.U.D, the main opposition party that wrote it.”

Hailu: “I can assure you categorically that it was not a party directive. Can I say with any degree of certainty that no one associate with CUD distributed such a document? No, I cannot say that. I am sure you would understand and appreciate that we cannot control the activities of each and very party member. It is equally likely that others, including the government, may have distributed it to further their own agenda and to undermine the decision of CUD. But we were the first to come out in public to disassociate our party from such calls.”

BBC: “Are you saying you never made a call for protest, demonstrations?

Hailu: “I will tell you categorically again that we did not call, encourage or support any demonstration after the election. To the contrary we announced our position that we should not engage in any demonstration until the results are announced. I hope that you have seen our official announcement to this effect. After the election we didn’t call for any single demonstration, but this is not to say we do not have the right to o so. This is a right contained in the constitution of the land. As I am sure you know the PM has banned demonstration. It was the prime minister who violated the constitution by banning demonstration.

BBC: “So, you are denying that the document I have seen is not genuine?”

Hailu: “Most certainly.”

BBC: “The fact is though; people did take to the streets. Opposition forces went to the streets.”

Hailu: “People went to the street. That was obvious. Some of them may even be people who support the opposition. I would not be surprised if some are also members of the opposition. We have no control over the activities of the people or even our supporters. Yes, people are sick and tired of living under tyranny. They thought for a change their votes were going to count, only to be disappointed that their votes were being rigged in a broad day light. So they went to the street and condemned the government’s action. This is not a crime. This is exercising their inalienable rights to express their view in a peaceful manner. The criminals were those who shot and killed unarmed innocent people. The criminal action was the PM’s action to ban demonstration in violation of the constitution of the land."

BBC: “Are you telling me that your party had nothing to do with that?

Hailu: “My party has nothing to do with the demonstration and most certainly nothing to do with the killings of innocent people.”

BBC: “If they had invited you, would you have worked with the committee (screening committee of the Electoral Board)?

Hailu:- “I probably would have, provided that other conditions are met. But the screening process is not a critical issue. What is critical is the safeguard that is put in place to ensure the independence of the electoral board. The legitimacy of the process and the integrity of the board is what matters the most. This is not to say the screening process is not a relevant piece in the process. It is a necessary, but not sufficient condition to establish legitimacy, integrity and complete independence.”

BBC: “Bereket Simon, the Information Minister, said: “After this incident on June the 8th, which left many people dead, if you allow people to defy law and order take matter into their own hands while government sitting by the side and not maintaining true responsibility for law and order - anybody who is capable of taking matters into their own hands will reign over society and will bring the whole of the Ethiopian society into turmoil. He is right. The government has a duty to maintain law and order, when the election result remains a source of doubt.”

Hailu: “Any one who makes such outlandish statement suffers from two cardinal sins. First is he does not seem to understand and appreciate the Ethiopian culture and psyche. The second sin is that any one who says what Mr. Bereket seems to say fails to accept that it was the government that is violating the law. The actions of the government from rigging the election, to illegally banning demonstration and murdering peaceful demonstrators shows the government is taking matters into its own hands, contrary to the will of the people and in violation of the constitution. So the criminals are the very people that Mr. Bereket Simon speaks for. The victims are the opposition and the people. That needs be clear to the international community."

BBC: “The government says there were organized agitators on the streets attacking the police. They were looting some shops. The government has the duty to impose order.

Hailu: “It’s a blatant lie perpetrated by the head of the government. This reveals the barefaced disregard the government has to the Ethiopian people and the international community. Not one shop was looted and no one police was heart.”

BBC: “My point is that you are portraying a government that is intent on imposing, some sort of, fogish police state of Ethiopia.”

Hailu: “The government’s action speaks for itself. This is documented by well established and reputable international human rights groups. If torturing opposition forces and banning peaceful demonstrations and murdering peaceful and unarmed demonstrators is not the hand and foot prints of a police state, I do not know hat would constitute a police state.”

BBC: “And, here you are, leader of the opposition, talking to the B.B.C, free to do whatever you want and travel around. You had been - indeed - having a dialogue with the government. You had been- indeed talking to government officials since your house arrest?”

Hailu:- “No, I have not been talking to any government official. I must say that they have misinformed you. Yes I am talking to you and I appreciate the opportunity you have accorded me to express my party’s positions. Yes the government has tolerated this, but I think it is my constitutional right to do so”

BBC: “Well, your party issued a joint statement, stressing the need for accepting the peaceful process; the need for avoiding violence on the streets.

Hailu:- “Yes! As I have noted before our movement is a peaceful movement. Though the government tried to make it difficult for us to sign a peace agreement we bent backward to make sure that a peaceful process is put in lace. You have seen the government’s attempt to declare the peace agreement null and void under a flimsy pretext. We accepted the peace process without any precondition. We have ben criticized by some of our supporters and members for signing a peace agreement before our representatives are freed from prison. But we thought we should make sure that the peace process is in place and agreed to be a part of it without any precondition.”

BBC: “Well, would you bring your people out in to the streets, if - as you suspect - the Electoral Board upholds the government’s victory and you regard the process is illegitimate?”

Hailu:- “I have no choice but to do so. We cannot allow any party to steal the people’s voice. To do otherwise would be to betray the people.”

BBC: “Even after what happened on June the 8th what do you think will happen when you bring your people - tens and tens and tens of thousands of them onto the streets at the end of this?”

Hailu:- “What happens will depend on the government’s action. We have marshaled well over 1.5 million people before the election. There was no violence or disturbance.”

BBC: ““Your policies and your decision over the next few weeks may lead to a terrible bloodshed in this country.”

Hailu:- “The contention is about respecting and honoring the wishes of the Ethiopian people. Many people including the elderly and the sick (some straight out of a hospital operating room) lined up for up to 13 hours to exercise their inalienable right to determine who should lead them in the next five years. Some were gunned down in broad day light for daring to show their support to opposition candidates. This, as I am sure you know, has been documented by respected international Human Right’s organizations, including the Amnesty International. Violating the will of the people is the most cardinal sin in politics. It is a violation of both political and human rights. In short, our position is that the people have spoken loud and clear. It is only if this is respected that the people’s vote is counted in the most transparent manner that we can accept the verdict. If this is not the case, we intend to do whatever is necessary and permissible within the bounds of the constitution to make sure that the people’s votes will not be rigged, irrespective of the consequences. To do any thing less is to succumb to the wishes of those who threaten to use the state security infrastructure for state sponsored violence. I wish I could say that we will succumb to the threats of state sponsored violence with the hope of winning their sympathy and good will. I believe it was President Jefferson who two centuries ago said, “those who postpone their fight for liberty, neither deserve nor get liberty.” We have no choice but to fight for our freedom within the boudns of our constitutional right and in a peaceful manner."

to be continued in Part II

Re: Mamo Qilo to Advise CUD - Part I

you must be kidding. You have now 20/20 hindsight to say right and wrong. Hailu shawel did ok on that interview when considering the hard talk interviewer is emulating a grilling and polemical style of questioning like Bill Orielly and Sean Hannity . You know Hailu Shawel is old and calm like many Ethio old men. As you saw him and he sometimes appeared to be sarcastic which was not a quality but I am sure that he never prepared for such interview. He should have been a bit combative and assertive.

VJ,

You do not need 20/20 hindsight to anticipate the qusetions. Tese are the very same questions that we have heard both from local government supporters and the international media. A smart political handler would have guessed 90% of the questions and prepared Ato Hailu better. The replies I drafted would also be handy for future interviews. All questions that would come his way will revolve around the same topics.

Mamo Qilo

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

MQ,
You did great, CUD could learn from this for future
thank You

Email: agegnehub@yahoo.com

City: A.A

Re: Mamo Qilo's foolish Advise to CUD - Part I

Dear Lemlem:
Let me put the verbatim of you message. It reads as follows:

Hagere Ethiopia: Yourself being Tigraye and tell
Meles what he really is,
“a tyrant bloodthirsty killer
shows how much you love your country.”
All God fearing Ethiopian Tigrayes
should follow your path and say
“Not in our Name.”

What I want to ask you is this:
You wrote, “Feudalism will
never come back to Ethiopia”
Don’t you think it is here
already under different
name "Meles Zenwaye?"

Listen, as the Honorable Hailu Shawl put it perfectly I, the Tigre, voted for a Kinijit candidate who is a non tigrean. I live in Teklehaimanot area where over 85% are Tigres. The last 14 years has taught many Tigres a lot of things. In 1991 many Tigres thought their time has come. Many even dared to say "the throne taken from us by Menelik came back once again to us." They considered it as a ressurection of King Yohannes dynasty. As time elapsed the truth started unfolding itself and almost all said, "awekush nakush". No more euphoria over "yetigre mengist". Almost all have understood there should not such thing as tigre, oromo, amhara. Almost all now want a government that truly represents the interests of all Ethiopian people irrespective of ethnicity, religion etc. Many admitted the grave error they commited and confessed in public. Gebru Asrat in public asked apology from the Ethiopian people. Others followed suit. My sister Lemlem, what I want to advise you is that it should be we all Ethiopians that have to say to Meles "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH". THIS IS not AT ALL A TASK YOU CAN FREELY ASSIGN TO ONE ETHNIC GROUP. It is wrong. It is outrageous. Your approach is a sure recipe for defeat. TPLF is working 7/24 to create unbridgeable intellectual and emotional divide. Don't be an easy prey for their evil design. Meles is engaged into terrorising everybody with his blanket accusation of the opposition being "anti Tigre". He in the past intimidated many politicians into silence, even those who loathed for him. He is determined to win everybody to his interest NOT by the force of his example or ideas, but by the force of arms. I am sure you are NOT advising me to go for a head on collision and sacrifice myself in a silly manner. Assume yourself in my position and try to imagine what you could have done. You can read what I wrote to a certain guy called GEBRE. Finally, I didn't mean to offend you. I am a type of person who, when gets angry, never uses coded diplomatic language. Otherwise I am an engaging conversationist. I am also eoquent and persuasive. Maybe my straight forwardness is a dreadful vice of me. Take ONLY the good side of me. I hate also guys like MAMO QILO, who are sanctimonious demagogues parading as PATRIOTS whereas they are actually mercenaries willing to defend a guy like MUDI 7/24. The MAMO QILOS are NOT reliable. They serve anyone who fills their bottomless appetite. Hodam as they are, they even try to advertise PEPSI in a forum like this meant and dedicated to discuss the current affairs of our country. They are sickening bunch of vultures. There are many MAMO QILOS here in Addis. You find them in Sheraton at office bar every night with a bottle of very expensive whiskies. Let me tell you what I witnessed one day. I went there to attend a weding ceremony. Mudi was dead drunk. He started spitting on all vultures who had surrounded him. They cleaned their face and smiled to him. He then splashed a glass full of whiskey over them. They again smiled. I tell you the MAMO QILOS at the office bar are not human beings. They are 70% dogs and 30% human beings with severe mental retrdation.
Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

City: Addis

Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

I am wondering what does what Ato Hagere Ethiopia's reply to do with what Ato Mamo Qilo posted.

regards,

Tariku

Email: ttessema34@yahoo.com

Hagere Ethiopia,

Drink Pepsi, It tests better than Coke. By the way did you see the headline in the front page of ER about Al Amoudi?

Mamo Qilo

How about focusing on the issues rather than on personalities. Both Mamo and Hagere Ethiopia need to grow up. Do not act like spoiled brats in public.

I have seen more civilized discussion at Gashe Tiku Tej Bet. May be yu borh stop drinking Pepsi and try Gashe Tiku's Tej!

Mamo Qilo,then your friend who deleted my posting is Mamo Qilo aswell not knowing you friend when you had a chanse to be responsible Ethiopians.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

DillingerJ1,

You used my name, but in most cases you posted something close to whatI would have posted my self. So I ignored you and lo and behold you came out admiting that you have been posting in my name.

DillingerJ1, why don't you coment on my handling of Hailu Shaul?

Mamo Qilaqilu

What is wrong with you Hagere Ethiopia? Your reply has no relevance to the subject.I think Mamo hurted you badely. Mamo posted a very interesting issue but you ... are you jealous?

Mamo Qilo,

I certainly will. I haven't gotten a chance to ready it yet. By the way, good job implementing the truce agreement. I saw already a couple of apologies and I am delighted.

Later KR Jr

DillingerJ1

Oh by the way, do you know why moderator deletes my posts. I am getting irritated, and begin to think you might be the moderator as well.

Mamo Qilo,

I finally got a chance to read through your advice to Eng. Hailu. I must admit it is sound and analytical. The response you proposed not only covered africa but the entire continent as well the current phonmenon in the rest of the world. And would have proven to the western audiance the political acuman of CUD President and most specially would have convinced the power circle in Washington to press for smooth power transition. Therefore, good job.

On the other side, I would estimate it would have taken the Engineer at the minimum 40 minutes to go through the interview and answer the question point by point as you suggested. The mere word count alone is 1539 words more than the actual BBC interview, i.e. your advice has 5219 words vs the original interview of 3680. In that sense I must say it is a bit convoluted.

Mamo Qilo (want be)

Dear Mamo Qilo (Wanna Be)

Thanks for your comments. I understand it was too long. Of course, if I were his advisor it would have been edited, tightened and made to fit within the time frame. What I wrote was a quick draft, I did not even have time to polish it up. On places it was repetitive.

I still would like to hear from DillingerJ1, Hagere Ethiopia, and Dr. Ibrahim.

Mamo Qilo

Mamo Qilo,

Another thought: we need to look at (hopefully analyze) how the interview played out among different audiances: inside ethiopia (even there among different stake holders including ethinicity) and outside Ethiopia (both diaspora and western governments). I believe inside the battle field (Ethiopia) the interview as is would garner different reaction than outside of Ethiopia. I believe your advise would have played well for western audiance and the diaspora.

What do you think?

Mamo Qilo (want be)

Mini Me,

Again, good job. Would I suggest you polish it up a little bit and send it to CUD so that they learn and get better for the future.

Rgrds,
Mamo Qilo (want be)

BTW, your ideal (KR) is in big trouble.

Mamo Qilo (Wanna Be)

Thanks again. My focus in the interview was the outside world. The Ethiopia People have spoken and wish to see Meles go. It is the foreign King Makers I think we need to address. If I were to hundle Hailu and company for internal interview, my focus would be Article 39 (where I would assure the people that I would not change it or initiate its change for the next 5 years), the Eritrean issue (which I would not focus on for te next 5 years). I would prety much leave the two issues as they are and focus on the economic forum. I would focus on brining people together and ntroducing democracy and strengthening democratic institutions.

Mamo Qilo

Stil waiting to hear from DillingerJ1 and Hagere Ethiopia aka Professor Waka aka Dadi.

Mamo Qilo

Mamo Qilo:
You are a confused confuser. The current and burning issue is how to let Weyane respect peoples verdict. You are talking what Kinijit should do after assuming full power. Fiyel wedih kizimzim wedya hone yante neger. Just focus on the burning issue

Email: gwaka@yahoo.com

Professor Geleta Waka,

Two Points:

1. If you have read my post you would understand what I am suggesting is to help the opposition to take power, not to help them how to govern after they take power. Please read me carefully.

2. How did Hagere Ethiopia got in your account to thank you for your support of him? Are you taking his identity or is he taking yours or are you one and the same?

Mamo Qilo

QILO:
What are you talking about? same old garbage? Alas! what one should expect from a bum cab driver

Email: gwaka@yahoo.com